Mags
Misc.
Stuff
Other
Sites
About &
Awards

Aliens Forum

Register Register   Memberlist Members   Profile Your Profile   Log in Log In/Out  
(Advanced)  
Username:    Password:      Log me on automatically each visit    
Alien Collector's Homeworld Forum Index -> All Things Aliens
THREAD: The never-ending downward spiral of the Alien form...   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Giger's Alien

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: The never-ending downward spiral of the Alien form... Reply with quote

The graceful, elegant, and powerful form of the aliens was pushed to the brink in "Alien3". Despite being a "freak" of the alien family, as it was born from a dog, the alien just straddled the line between beautuful creature and stupid, ugly monster. The Alien3 creature was still gracefull and elegant, while also pushing for a less humanoid image. With " Alien3", the integrity of Giger's alien was still very much maintained. Along came " Alien4", and all that elegance and grace was just thrown out the window. Tom Woodruff Jr. and his pal managed to turn the beautiful yet deadly killing machine into a boring, slimy, drooling, cheesy man-in-a-suit-oh-no-watch-out atrocity( I know, my spelling is bad). Instead of the eerie, barely audible hiss, the alien's voice was changed to a roar. A growl. Their bodies have no bio-mechanical symetry or structure and form, nor do they move like it. They stumble around like birds or something. They are muscle-y, ugly, big 'ol dumb beasts. Now, after seeing the trailers and previews for AvP, the alien form is once again turned into a lousy, "space-monster".
I am very angry with what has happened to the form of the alien. Watch " Alien", and you will see the sheer beauty in just the form of its body, as well as how it moves. Even with the changes Cameron and Winston made in " Aliens", those aliens still possesed the same look and grace as the first. " Alen3" was a stretch, but still held true to the form. Shame on you Woodruff...thanks to him, the once deadly, clever, fearsome killing machine is now just another drooling, dumb, hollywood monster.
Im sorry, but this has just been bugging me since I've seen " Alien4"... am I the only one who feels this way?

-Giger's Alien
demo909
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with you whole heartedly. about the downfall of the grace and beauty of the original alien. No thing will ever compare to the original creature, but I loved alien3. Why? Because it was something different. the moves the head all were slightly different from the original alien. it was fresh and even though the CGI was pretty lousy in alien3 you still had to admire the beast. When I saw alien4 in the theaters I felt sick to my stomach. I couldn't believe what they had done to the creature....and I have to agree that when I heard the alien "roar" instead of hiss, I almost walked out. It was a discrace!
I think that the main reason the integrity has been lost is that very few squels or remakes or new chapters of an old story pay attention to as much detail as the original. And with todays shoot your movie in three months hollywood market, what can we expect from AvP?
I saw the grid alien in the photos from the set and the battle alien. They are almost identical to those used in alien4. I was never a fan of the idea of Avp cause I knew it would be nothing more then a mocking spoof to both the original alien and the original predator Rolling Eyes
Dillon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The design in Alien 3 was done with Giger's design concepts, just to let you know. Giger would have had knives that shot out of the bottom of the Alien's wrists like Wolverine, would have had the tongue roll out rather than punch out and it would have had the mouth of a sexy woman. With all due respect to Giger, I'm glad they didn't incorporate all of his ideas because it would have been too much of a derivative from the original form. Just feel lucky you have the Alien design you have.
Alien Collector's Homeworld Forum Index -> All Things Aliens Reply to topic
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: